Volunteer Nurse Educator Volunteers at Moi University, Kenya
NOTE: This job listing has expired and may no longer be relevant!
National Peace Corps Association (NPCA) is working with the Johnson & Johnson Family of Companies (J&J) on a program that is part of J&J’s larger strategy to make nursing programs stronger in Africa. For this program, two expert volunteers will build capacity at the Moi University School of Nursing, but also work in the Moi Teaching and Referral Hospital, as appropriate. Moi University School of Nursing is located on a quiet campus in the small town of Eldoret in the cool of Northern Kenya. For more information about the school, go to http://www.chs.mu.ac.ke.
Location: The School of Nursing at Moi University in Eldoret, Kenya
Length of assignment: 3-4 months, based on fulfillment of goals
Start date: April or May 2013
Responsibilities: At the School of Nursing, volunteers prepared at the Master’s, DNP and PhD level are needed to serve as temporary faculty, teaching one or more undergraduate courses in the core areas of nursing, including pediatric and medical-surgical nursing and obstetrical nursing and midwifery, community health and psychiatric nursing, as well as other Bachelor of Science level courses such as foundations of nursing, communication, informatics, and nursing research. PhD prepared volunteers will mentor graduate students in maternal and neonatal nursing, as well as mentor graduate students and faculty in research proposal development, research methods and publication of scholarly work. At Moi Teaching and Referral Hospital (MTRH), volunteers may also work with the Chief Nurse to build the capacity of the MTRH Division of Nursing through consultation in quality improvement, professional development, nursing management, evidence based practice, and patient outcome evaluation.
Other Responsibilities will include, but are not limited to:
- Coordinating and presenting Grand Rounds to both Moi University faculty and nurses at MTRH
- Maintaining records for outcomes measurement and evaluation
- Reaching out to inform others in the US about the university’s work
- Current licensure as a registered nurse
- BSN or equivalent, MS, MPH, DNP, or PhD with a major focus in nursing
- 3-5 years experience teaching nursing theory and clinical application
- 3-5 years experience in designing and facilitating faculty workshops in professional development, teaching methods, curriculum development, current health care issues, research, or production of scholarly work
- 3-5 years experience in quality improvement, nursing management or administration
- A background in medical-surgical nursing and/or research
- A record of peer-reviewed scholarly work or research in area of expertise
- Experience living in a developing country
Costs: Airfare, emergency medical evacuation insurance, room/board and local transportation for the assignment will be provided. Volunteers are asked to cover the cost of their passport, visa and vaccinations, and maintain their own health insurance. Any personal travel is at the volunteer’s expense.
How to Apply
Qualified volunteer candidates should submit a resume or CV, with a cover letter, to [email protected]. Please write “J&J Kenya” and your name in the subject line. NOTE: Final candidates will also need to undergo a criminal background check and verification of current RN licensure.
1893 total views, 1 today